Eggplant Crisps with Oven-Dried Tomatoes and Mozzarella
1 Japanese eggplant, cut crosswise into 1⁄4 inch thick slices for 12 slices
1⁄2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
4 ounces mozzarella cheese
6 cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon marjoram, fresh
2 cups of vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Cut tomatoes in half, toss with 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, and place on parchment paper. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Place flour, breadcrumbs, and beaten egg in three separate bowls. Season the eggplant well on one side with salt. Dredge each slice of eggplant into flour, then the egg mixture, and finally in the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over a medium flame until hot enough to fry. Fry six
eggplant pieces until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining six pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut mozzarella in half first and then slice crosswise into twelve total slices. Top each slice of eggplant with a slice of mozzarella and a slice of oven-dried tomato.
- Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Chop the fresh marjoram and evenly sprinkle over each piece.