Delicata Squash, Bacon and Frisée Salad
2 pounds Delicata squash
1⁄2 pound slab of bacon, cut into lardons
1⁄4 cup sliced shallots
1⁄4 cup Marcona almonds, roasted, salted, and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
3 heads Frisée, core, and outer green leaves removed, and clean
3 tablespoons aged sherry vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
1⁄4 pound Manchego cheese
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice off the ends of the squash. Cut in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and pulp. (The skins of Delicata squash are edible and do not need to be peeled.)
- Cut the squash into 1⁄2 inch half-moons. Toss the squash with 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons of
salt, and the ground fennel seeds.
- Place flat and spread out on a large baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 3 tablespoons of sherry vinegar in a bowl
to make the vinaigrette. Reserve.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat, add bacon, and cook until bacon is lightly browned about five minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add shallots, and stir to combine. Remove from heat, add vinaigrette and stir to combine. Add squash and Frisée to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine and dress the salad.
- Arrange salad on plates. Shave Manchego over each plate, and add the Marcona almonds.