Caramelized Pear and Almond Upside-Down Cake
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup almond paste, packed
2 eggs, room temperature
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the sugar and almond paste in a mixer with the paddle attachment and mix for two minutes.
- Add the butter in increments, and cream for another two minutes or until the mix is light in color and smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time but be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl between egg additions. Add the vanilla and combine.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, and add to the mixer, mixing until just combined.
- Place the batter in a piping bag.
3 Bosc Pears
¾ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- Peel, core, and dice the pears into ½ inch pieces.
- Place the ¾ cup sugar, 3 tablespoons of water, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into a 9-inch sauté pan.
- Cook the sugar mixture over high heat swirling and shaking the pan slightly so the sugar caramelizes evenly until it is a light honey color.
- Carefully add the pears to the caramelized sugar in a single layer and cook over medium heat for five minutes. Be careful not to shake or disturb too much.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle with vanilla and salt, and let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes.