Bartlett Pear with Blue Cheese and Candied Walnuts
8 ounces blue cheese such as Maytag, Stilton, or a local favorite
1 Bartlett pear
nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 cup walnuts (about 3½ ounces)
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Combine walnuts, corn syrup, sugar, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread nut mixture on prepared baking sheet. Bake until nuts are deep golden and sugar mixture is bubbling, stirring occasionally to break up clumps, about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet. Can be prepared up to four days ahead of time.
- Peel the pears and discard the core. Slice the pear into thin slices about ⅛ of an inch thick.
- Place a 2-ounce slice of cheese on each of the four plates. Sprinkle a few of the nuts alongside the cheese and some pear slices.
- Serve with water crackers or toasted baguette slices.