Chilled White Corn Vichyssoise with Citrus Marinated Rock Shrimp
16-18 ears white corn, kernels removed, cobs reserved
1 medium yellow onion, julienned
2 tablespoons butter
6 ounces rock shrimp
Juice of 1 orange
Zest of ½ an orange
Zest of ½ a lemon
½ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and white pepper to taste
- Place the corn cobs in a stockpot and cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer for twenty minutes.
- Remove the corn stock from the heat and strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Juice about ¼ of the corn kernels in a vegetable juicer, reserve the juice for use later.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pot over low heat, add the onions and sweat until translucent. Add the remaining corn kernels and sweat an additional five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the corn stock just until the corn and onions are covered.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 6-8 minutes. Add the corn juice and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree in a blender; it may not be necessary to use all of the juice, reserve some to adjust the thickness of the soup later if necessary.
- Pass the soup through a medium mesh strainer.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch the rock shrimp in the water for about 1 minute or until just barely cooked through, shock the shrimp in an ice bath to prevent any
- Place the shrimp in a bowl with the orange juice, orange zest, lemon zest, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and white pepper to taste. Reserve covered in the refrigerator for no more than thirty minutes.
- When the soup is chilled, ladle it into bowls and top with the marinated shrimp.
*Soup may also be served warm, simply reheat in a pot and plate.