Stuffed Roasted Red Peppers with Anchovies, Raisins and Pine Nuts
3 medium red bell peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup minced yellow onions
2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons golden raisins
4 anchovy filets, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ cup toasted bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
Salt and pepper
- If you have a gas stove, place the peppers directly over the flame of the burners. Otherwise, you can use a broiler or a grill.
- Char the skin of the peppers until they blister and blacken. Turn the peppers so that they blacken all over.
- Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a plate. Let the peppers steam in the bowl for a few minutes. This will help the skin to slide off the pepper.
- Place the peppers under a low running stream of water to remove the skin. (I like to place a strainer in the sink to catch the skin to make clean-up easier.)
- Cut the peeled peppers in quarters and remove the stems and seeds, then set aside. To make the filling you’ll heat the olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the onions and cook, stirring until the onions are soft and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the onions to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients to the onions and mix thoroughly. Layout the peppers. Divide stuffing among the peppers, placing it on the wide end of the peppers. Roll up the peppers and secure them with a toothpick.
- Bake the peppers in a preheated 400º oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly colored and thoroughly heated.