White Bean & Escarole Soup with Shrimp
½ pound dried white beans
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup fennel, finely diced
½ cup yellow onion, finely diced
¼ cup carrot, finely diced
¼ cup celery, finely diced
4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
5 cups chicken stock
½ lemon, zested and juiced
1 large escarole, cored and chopped
12 jumbo shrimp, shell on (about ½ pound)
¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Place dried beans in a large bowl and cover with water by 4 inches. Cover and let soak overnight in the fridge. Drain before using.
- Place a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, add ¼ cup of olive oil. en add fennel, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until softened (about 6 minutes). Add beans, rosemary, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook the beans until tender.
- After 1 hour check the beans for tenderness. Once beans are tender, add lemon juice, zest, and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Heat 4 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a low simmer then add shrimp. Poach for 3 minutes then transfer to a plate to cool slightly. then peel and devein.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in sautés pan. Add escarole and sauté, stirring occasionally until wilted (about 5 minutes). Season with salt, cover, and set aside.
- Place half of the soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Return the puréed soup to the pot. Stir the escarole into the soup and divide among 4 bowls. Add three shrimp to each bowl and serve.