Forrest Mushroom and Baby Spinach Potstickers
1 pound mixed mushrooms (shiitake, royal trumpets, crimini)
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons black vinegar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon fermented black beans
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
4 cups baby spinach
2 tablespoon chopped canned black truffles
1 teaspoon truffle oil
2 tablespoons shallots, roughly chopped
½ cup dry white wine
2 cups heavy cream
24 potsticker wraps
Salt and white pepper to taste
- Combine soy sauce, black vinegar, sesame oil, and black beans in a blender. Puree and set aside.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and place them in a food processor. Pulse the mushrooms about 10 times or until the mushrooms are a coarse meal but not pureed.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Add mushrooms and sauté until the moisture evaporates and mushrooms are almost dry (about 8 minutes). Add soy sauce mixture to the mushrooms and cook until the mixture is completely absorbed (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and cool.
- Heat another sauté pan over medium heat and add the minced garlic, sauté for about 30 seconds, then add 4 cups spinach and cook until wilted (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and cool. Using cheesecloth or a kitchen towel, squeeze any extra moisture from the spinach, chop finely and mix into the cooled mushroom mixture. Reserve in the refrigerator for use later.
- Place the spinach and mushroom mix in the middle of each potsticker wrapper. Moisten the edge of the wrapper with water and fold the edges over sealing with a small fold and pinching all the way around the wrap. Reserve on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of canola oil and the shallots. Sweat the shallots until translucent (about 6 minutes).
- Add the white wine, bring to a boil and reduce until almost dry. Add the cream and reduce by half. Place the mixture in a blender with the truffle oil and puree. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Add the chopped truffles, keep warm.
- Place a sauté pan over medium heat with a tablespoon of canola oil and place the potstickers in the pan flat side down, cook until browned. Add enough water to just cover the bottom and place a cover on the pan.
- Reduce heat to low and cook covered for about 4 minutes, or until the potsticker wrap is cooked and the mushroom mixture is heated through. Place the sauce on the bottom of a plate and place the potstickers over the sauce.