Five Spice Braised Kurobuta Pork, Purple Sweet Potatoes & Armagnac Prunes
3 pounds of pork shoulder
4 quarts pork stock
2 onions, quartered
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole star anise
1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
1 cinnamon stick
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
Salt and white pepper
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1×1 foot section Cheese cloth
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly season pork with salt and white pepper. Heat a large Dutch oven with vegetable oil. Sear pork on both sides and set aside. Place onions in pan and sear until caramelized, add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add vinegar to deglaze, reduce slightly and then add pork stock.
- Place Szechuan peppercorns, cloves, star anise, fennel seed and cinnamon stick in the cheesecloth. Use butcher’s twine to tie off, securing the contents inside cheesecloth then add to Dutch oven.
- Place seared pork in liquid, slowly bring up to a simmer and then cover loosely with parchment or lid. Place in the oven and cook for 2 ½ hours.
- Once tender, remove pork from the oven and let cool in the Dutch oven to room temperature. Once cooled, remove the pork from the Dutch oven and strain the liquid into another saucepan. Place the saucepan over low to medium heat and reduce by ⅔.
Purple Sweet Potatoes Ingredients
4 purple sweet potatoes
½ teaspoon star anise
½ teaspoon whole cloves
2 tablespoons butter
6×6 inch Cheesecloth
Purple Sweet Potatoes Technique
- Peel and chop potatoes into 2 inch pieces then place in a pot and cover with water.
- Place cloves and star anise in cheesecloth. Tie with butcher’s twine and place in water with the potatoes.
- Cook until potatoes are done and pierce easily with a knife. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and strain remainder in pot.
- Place potatoes in a mixer along with butter and a half cup of cooking of cooking liquid to start. Add liquid if necessary.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
Armagnac Prunes Ingredients
½ cup pitted prunes
¼ cup water
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons Armagnac
Armagnac Prunes Technique
Place prunes, water and sugar in a medium saucepan, place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, add Armagnac and stir until combined.