Chorizo Stuffed Fried Olives (IA)
1 shallot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄2 pound Spanish semi-cured chorizo, casings removed and finely chopped
1⁄4 cup chicken stock
1⁄2 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
20 large green olives, pied
- Cook chorizo in a sauté pan over medium heat until it renders its fat and slightly caramelizes. Add shallots, garlic, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until shallots are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add sherry and reduce until almost dry. Then add chicken stock and reduce until almost dry. Remove to a mixing bowl and let cool.
- Add parmesan cheese and one beaten egg to chorizo. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- With a small spoon, place the chorizo mixture into the center of each olive, filling completely.
Olive Breading Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup fine breadcrumbs
Olive Breading Technique
- Place three small, shallow bowls on the counter. Place flour into the first one, two beaten eggs into the second, and breadcrumbs into the third.
- One at a time, place an olive into each of the bowls, fully coating the olives with flour, then egg, and finally breadcrumbs. Place on a large plate for frying.
- Place 2 cups of vegetable frying oil in a saucepan, about 3 inches deep. Fry olives at 350 ̊F
until golden brown, about 5 at a time. Remove and place on paper towels to drain.