Bacon, Pecan & Leek Dressing
8 oz bacon, diced lardons
2 teaspoons of canola oil
4 tablespoons butter
2 leeks; white bulb only, cut into small ¼” pieces
3 celery stalks, peeled & finely diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1.5 cups roasted pecans coarsely chopped
2 cups dried cherries
1 large loaf of day-old ciabatta bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino
1.5 +/- cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter (2 Tablespoons) a large casserole dish
- Dice bread into ¾” cubes and toast in the oven for 8 minutes to dry out
- Crisp the bacon over medium heat in the canola oil
- Strain bacon and separate from the drippings. Reserve bacon and 2 Tablespoons of drippings separately
- Add 2 Tablespoons of butter to the bacon drippings in a large sauté pan and heat over medium-high heat
- Once the butter is melted, add the leeks and celery.
- Sauté until the vegetables are very tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Gently stir in the chestnuts, herbs, and dried cherries.