Thyme & Chive Latkes
8 Russet potatoes, peeled
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons our
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons canola oil
- Grate the peeled potatoes and onion into a large bowl. Place the mixture into a clean bar towel and squeeze out as much moisture from the mixture as possible – this will make for a crispier latke. Wipe out any excess moisture from the bowl, and return the potatoes and onion mixture to it.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs then add in the potato-onion mixture.
- In a third bowl, combine the baking powder, our, thyme and chives. Add to the potato mixture and mix well.
- Heat a large sauté pan with canola oil on medium heat. Drop about a tablespoon of the potato-onion mixture into the oil and immediately a en. Cook over medium heat, ipping halfway through, until brown on each side, then remove from pan to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve latkes while hot.
- Optional: Serve with crème aiche and smoked salmon.