Thai Fish Cakes with Soy Syrup
1 pound sole, cleaned of all skin and bones,
cut into small pieces and well chilled
1 tablespoon red curry paste
6 ounces coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
2 teaspoons sugar
- In a food processor make a mousse of the sole by chopping the sole very finely. Add the red curry paste. With the processor running, slowly add the coconut milk, scraping the sides often.
- Puree until smooth. Place the mousse into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet over a medium high flame.
- To form the cakes, dampen your fingers in water, form about ¼ cup of the mix into a patty.
- Place the patty into the pan and repeat for the other patties. Do not crowd the pan.When the cakes are golden on one side, about 3 minutes, turn them over to brown the other side, again about 3 minutes.
- Remove the cakes to paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve with soy syrup drizzled over the cakes
Soy Syrup Ingredients
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup corn syrup
Soy Syrup Technique
In a small saucepot, bring the soy and corn syrup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and reduce the syrup to about 2/3 cup.