1 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
1 cup packed finely diced onion
2 tablespoons minced dill pickle
3/4 pound quartered cremini or brown
42 teaspoon kosher salt mushrooms (about 1 quart packed)
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil until it shimmers, then add onion and mushrooms.
- Cook and stir until the onion is translucent for 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine and garlic; simmer 5 minutes or until mushrooms and onion are tender.
- Add gravy, pickle, salt, and vinegar. Heat through and serve. To make this dish more like the original stroganoff, mix in %2 cup sour cream just before serving.
Mushroom Gravy Ingredients
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
10 cloves garlic
1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
3/4 pound quartered cremini or brown mushrooms (about 1 quart packed)
1 cup peeled, finely chopped carrots
1 small or medium russet potato, peeled and chopped (about 1 medium)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup dry red wine
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 cup canned diced tomatoes with their juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Mushroom Gravy Technique
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil until it shimmers. Sauté onion, carrot, and celery for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add water, tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, and potato. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes. Add red wine and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes to burn off the alcohol.
- Remove from heat, add soy sauce and salt. Puree in batches in a blender at high speed for about 15 seconds, until very smooth, covering blender with lid and a cloth to prevent the hot mixture from spraying.
- Fresh herbs make a great addition to this sauce, especially thyme or marjoram.