2 lb lamb stew meat, 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1
large onion, chopped
1.5 cups water
1 pinch saffron threads, crumbled
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots, course chopped
2 teaspoons honey
- Heat the oil in a large saucepot with a tight-fitting lid over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Season the meat well with salt and pepper and brown the meat on all sides.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened. Stir in water, saffron, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer. Stir occasionally until lamb is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer until squash is tender about 10 minutes.
- It may be necessary to add more water but keep the sauce thick.