Crab, Spinach and Brie Dip
1 medium leek (white part only)
1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion
1 cup wilted baby spinach squeezed dry of all liquid, chopped
1 pound Brie
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup dry white wine
⅔ cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 pound fresh jumbo lump crab meat, picked clean of all shells
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste
Salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat an oven to 425°F and lightly oil an 11-inch gratin or another shallow baking dish.
- Trim and finely chop leek. In a large bowl of water wash the leek well and lift from water into a mesh strainer to drain.
- Finely chop the onion. Squeeze dry and finely chop the spinach. Discard rind from Brie and cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a heavy skillet cook the leek, onion, and garlic in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until pale golden; stir in the spinach.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring until almost dry.
- Add the cream and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the Brie stir constantly until it just begins to melt.
- Remove the mixture from heat and stir the in the herbs.
- In a large bowl stir together crab meat, mustard, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste and stir in cheese mixture.
- Spread mixture evenly in a baking dish and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve with warm Crostini.