Cauliflower and Mushroom Soup
¼ cup of butter
1 large shallot diced
2 cloves garlic minced
¼ cup of dry white wine
1 Yukon gold potato peeled and diced
1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
12 oz mushrooms cut into ½ inch pieces
4 sprigs of thyme
Vegetable stock or water
¾ cup of heavy cream
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place butter in a pot large enough to hold all ingredients, turn heat to medium, and when hot, add shallots and garlic.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until caramelized and then add mushrooms.
- Turn to medium-high and let mushrooms cook until soft and push out all their liquid.
- Deglaze with white wine. Add cauliflower, thyme, and potato and cover with vegetable stock or water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until cauliflower and potato are soft when poked with a fork.
- Blend the soup until smooth, whisk in cream and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
*optional: pass through mesh strainer when finished for a smoother consistency
**could use additional mushrooms and drizzle of olive oil for garnish