Brick Chicken with Grilled Romaine & Picholine Olive Sauce
1 3 pound chicken, backbone removed
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon, chopped fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon kosher salt
- In a bowl combine oil, minced garlic, tarragon, and salt to create a marinade. Place chicken in a 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag. Pour marinade into a bag and remove as much air as possible before closing. Let marinate for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Place a cast-iron skillet in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes. Heat your gas or charcoal grill to medium-low. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry. Place chicken skin side down on the grill and immediately place heated cast iron pan on top and reduce heat.
- Watch for flare-ups so you do not burn the chicken. Cook for 15 minutes and then turn a quarter turn, returning the cast-iron pan to chicken. Cook for another 15 minutes and then flip the chicken over. Cook for an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Grilled Romaine with Picholine Olive Sauce Ingredients
2 heads Romaine lettuce
1 cup Focaccia croutons
8 white anchovies
¼ cups shaved parmesan
Juice of ½ lemon
1 large shallot, fine diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoons, chopped fresh thyme
¼ cups verjus
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons chopped Picholine olives
Grilled Romaine with Picholine Olive Sauce Technique
- Place shallots, garlic, and verjus in a saucepan and reduce until a tablespoon is left. Add chicken stock and cream, then reduce by more than half. Add olives and cook for 10 minutes or until about 1 cup of sauce remains. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cut Romaine in half lengthwise, brush with extra virgin olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place cut side on a medium heat grill for 4-5 minutes, turn over, and cook for 2 more minutes.