Braised Chicken with Dried Tart Cherries, Olives and Capers
4 chicken legs, separated thighs and legs
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon thyme, fresh and roughly smashed
2 tablespoons blended oil
1 tablespoon Pernod or pastis
1 teaspoon champagne wine vinegar
1 cup white wine 2 bay leaves
¾ cup dried tart cherries 1 cup chicken stock
½ cup pitted green olives 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon Canola oil
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Place chicken in a bowl or large Ziploc bag and marinate overnight or at least two hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove chicken and discard marinade. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a roasting pan with 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium heat. Sear chicken, skin side down, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove excess fat from the pan and add white wine, reducing to almost half.
- Add cherries, olives, capers, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Cover and place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm. Bring braise mixture to a boil and then simmer until slightly reduced about 5 minutes. Wisk in butter and parsley and adjust seasoning if necessary. Return chicken to sauce and serve.