Black Pepper Scones and Balsamic Strawberries
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 large egg yolk
1 basket strawberries
1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a medium bowl or food processor, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and black pepper. Dice the butter and add it to the flour mixture. Work the butter into the flour mixture until it’s evenly distributed and smaller than peas. Use a food processor, a pastry cutter, or two forks.
- Next, add 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon of heavy cream and the egg yolk in a small bowl and beat together. Pour this on the flour mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms. (Don’t overmix, but incorporate things well).
- Scoop four even portions of dough out and use the warmth of your hands to make it stick together. Mound them on a cookie sheet in a circle shape. Repeat with the remaining dough. Brush the scones with the remaining 1 tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, until a toothpick inserted, comes out clean and they are lightly brown on the edges.
- While the scones bake, slice strawberries in a medium bowl. Add balsamic vinegar and sugar and mix gently until the sugar is dissolved. Top each scone with sugar mixture.