Baked Goat Cheese with Glazed Baby Beets Frisee and Arugula Salad
4 oz. fresh goat cheese
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 bunch of baby yellow beets
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ cup baby arugula stems removed
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
¾ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon fresh cut chives
Salt and white pepper
2 bunches frisée, washed and trimmed of dark green leaves
- Cut the goat cheese into four 1 ounce logs and refrigerate.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk. Place the flour and panko into 2 separate containers. Dredge each goat cheese disc in the flour, then submerge in the beaten egg, finish by placing the egg coated goat cheese into the panko being sure that the crust is even all around the disc. Place the breaded goat cheese in a fridge for use later.
- Remove the tops from the beets and place in a tin foil pouch with the garlic, thyme, salt, white pepper, olive oil and a tablespoon of water. Bake the beets in a 350°F oven and cook for 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a knife. When the beets are cool, remove the skins by rubbing them with a paper towel. Cut the beets into quarters.
- Remove the dark green leaves from the frisée and cut away the base. Wash the frisée in cold water and dry thoroughly. Pick the stems from the arugula, wash and dry thoroughly. Combine the mustard, rice wine vinegar and olive oil in a bowl and whisk, season with salt and white pepper; reserve for use later.
- Preheat on oven to 325°F
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Brown the goat cheese discs on each side until golden brown. Place the browned discs on a sheet pan lined with paper towels.
- Place the lemon juice, honey, a teaspoon of butter, and a tablespoon of water in a sauté pan. Bring to a boil and add the quartered beets, cook the mixture until the liquid has reduced to a syrup consistency. Remove the beets from the heat, season with salt and white pepper and keep warm. Place the browned goat cheese in the oven.
- Toss the frisée and arugula with the vinaigrette and divide between four plates. Place the warm goat cheese discs on each plate. Divide the glazed beets between the plates, garnish with chives. Serve immediately.