Asian Beef Stew
4 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 2-inch squares
1 yellow onion
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 teaspoons ai red curry paste
2-inch spring lemongrass
1 Kar lime leaf
3 large carrots, cut into 1⁄2 inch thick coins
2 ribs of celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can chopped tomatoes, drained
3 tablespoons ai sh sauce
2 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed, casserole pan with coconut oil. Season short ribs with salt
and pepper and add to the hot pan, do not crowd, work in batches.
- Sear on all sides until dark in color, transfer to plate.
- Add onions, garlic, and ginger to the pan, cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add
carrots and celery; then add curry paste, lemongrass, and Kaffir lime leaf, stir well to combine.
- Add chopped tomatoes and Thai fish sauce, stir well. Add beef stock and return
beef to the pan slowly brings to a simmer.
- Cover pan and place in oven. Check after 2 hours, meat should be tender.
- Check seasoning and adjust if necessary. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.