Grilled Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin
1 Kurobuta pork tenderloin (about 2 pounds)
2 ripe Santa Rosa plums, halved and pit removed
2 cups barley
6 cups water
1 cup chiffonade Napa cabbage
1 cup chiffonade red cabbage
1 cup chiffonade dino kale
1 cup grated carrot
¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
¼ cup small diced red onion
¼ cup raspberry vinegar
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 ripe Santa Rosa plums, quartered and pit removed
2 cups Zinfandel
8 ounces hoisin
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
½ onion, small diced
2 shallots, small diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon molasses
Extra virgin olive oil for seasoning
- Season quartered plums lightly with extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper and bake at 250°F for 30 minutes.
- While the plums are baking put wine, onions, shallots, garlic, and herbs into a small saucepot and reduce by half on low heat.
- Place all the BBQ ingredients in the blender and purée for 1 minute. The consistency should be as thick as honey. If it is still runny, place it in a saucepot on the stove and slowly reduce.
- Season with salt and pepper when finished.
- Bring barley and water up to a low boil, reduce heat to a low simmer, and cook for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain off excess water if necessary. Allow to cool, then mix in cabbage, kale, carrots, onion, almonds, vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper then gently fold together.
- Season the tenderloin and plums generously with extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Over medium heat, place the plums flesh side down on the grill for 2 minutes then rotate 90 degrees, and cook for 2 more minutes. Flip over and cook for 2 minutes, then remove.
- Cook the pork on each side for about 3 minutes or until a medium temperature is reached. Brush the prepared BBQ sauce on the tenderloin while it is resting, for the next 4 minutes.
- Place a cylinder of barley salad in the middle of the plate, slice the tenderloin into ¼ inch medallions, arrange in a ring on top of the salad and place a grilled plum in the center. You can always drizzle some additional BBQ or serve it on the side in a bowl. It can also be plated family-style and will look amazing. Enjoy