Curry-Coconut Steamed Mussels
1 stalk lemongrass
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
12 red onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped and peeled ginger
2 teaspoons green curry paste
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 42 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Trim lemongrass by removing the outer leaves, using only a 1/4 of the root end.
- Smash with the flat side of a knife and cut into one-inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pot, add sliced onion and cook until soft. Add garlic, lemongrass, ginger, and curry paste, stirring until golden.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and 2 tablespoons of water to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels to pot and cover. Cook for about 8 minutes or until mussels are open, stirring occasionally.
- Discard any mussels that do not open. Add lime juice to the pot; stir in cilantro. Serve immediately.