St. Francis Winery produces approachable wines of premium quality, deeply rooted in Sonoma County’s rich heritage of sustainable agriculture. These wines represent a genuine connection to nature and a proud commitment to preserving it. An almost 50 year legacy of pure winemaking that everyone can value. Our beautiful family-owned, state-of-the-art winery and stunning mission-style tasting room were built in the heart of the Sonoma Valley, surrounded by estate vineyards.
Our commitment to showcase the best of Sonoma extends to our tasting room, which pairs our award-winning wines with the most breathtaking view in Sonoma Valley, and to our ZAGAT-recommended Wine & Food Pairing, which has earned worldwide praise from legions of fans and was voted "#1 in America" in multiple years by Open Table diners. In 2012, we planted a 2-acre organic Estate Garden, giving our chef access to fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs grown steps away from our kitchen, and giving our guests an unforgettable, farm-to-table Wine & Food Pairing experience in the heart of Sonoma Valley.
We are currently recruiting for an Executive Chef to join our award winning team. This position will be responsible for the creation of an exceptional culinary program for the winery that showcases our outstanding wines while providing exceptional wine country experiences for guests. The Executive Chef is responsible for the planning and preparation of meals and appetizers for our highly acclaimed, Wine & Food Pairing Program, private Trade lunches and dinners, special events. This position will also be responsible for developing menus and recipes for pairing multi-course dishes with hand-selected artisan wines that showcase our wines and build and promote brand awareness, wine sales and customer loyalty. In addition it will also be responsible for management of kitchen operations staff, training, mentoring and motivating staff to successfully promote and increase the wedding and private event business and drive wine sales and club memberships to exceed targeted goals and objectives. The Executive Chef is also responsible for the financial management and accountability for all related costs and achievement of the financial goals for the Events Department.
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position requiring the ability to work extended days/hours, weekends and holidays, as well as flexibility in scheduling to ensure business-staffing and operational needs are met. Regular schedule days are Thursday through Monday.
- Develops unique, original, and exciting Wine & Food Pairing dishes paired to highlight St. Francis wines.
- Rotates pairing courses out at 6 week intervals for seasonal appropriateness.
- Manages - Kitchen operations, ensuring the highest professional food quality and sanitation standards are maintained.
- Along with Event Manager, oversees Events and supports front of house staff.
- Plans and develops menus and recipes for all food service, including trade and VIP menus considering wine appropriateness, seasonality, holidays, costs and all other relevant factors.
- Effectively manages staff to maintain morale, reduce turnover, increase productivity and improve quality. Provides supervision, training and education to kitchen staff. In addition, this position is also responsible for educating and training the Wine & Food Pairing Supervisor/Hosts, and Event Servers, as needed in order to promote and ensure exceptional experiences for guests. Training to include all aspects of the culinary program, St. Francis wines, winery history and winemaking techniques.
- In coordination with Winemakers, tests and determines food affinities for specific varietals/vintages on a pre-wine release basis.
- Provides support in developing and/or implementing food descriptions to be used for advertising campaigns, printed materials and other Marketing and Sales efforts. Writes recipes for publication for site events, newsletters, website, recipe cards, etc.
- Consults and coordinates with Winery and Visitor Center Managers about food preparation and other aspects of planned special events.
- Manages and controls necessary budgets for all areas of responsibility; provides detailed, itemized cost analysis to Finance, projects annual food and labor costs and monitors budgets vs actual financial results; takes corrective action where necessary to help ensure that financial goals are met.
- Responsible for onsite organic 2-acre garden and herb garden. Coordinates plant varieties, seasonal schedule and production for culinary needs.
- Manages and maintains physical inventories of food supplies, linens, etc., purchasing food and supplies for all events and other related activities.
- Researches, recommends and orders needed equipment and supplies to maintain high level of quality and services.
- Develops recipes for Wine Club releases.
- Represents the Winery at Wine & Food Pairings and other on-site and off-site events, cooking demonstrations, media events and interviews, and other promotional opportunities in support of the Winery and Brand.
- In conjunction with the management team, participates in establishing and supporting Winery and Visitor Center policies and procedures.
- Along with the Event Manager, responsible for all aspects of the Event department and budget.
- Fully supports the Winery’s commitment to established Safety practices and policies to safeguard employee safety, company property and environmental considerations. Develops and implements safety training to increase employees’ knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
- Responsible for compliance with the Winery’s sustainability policies and practices which are economically viable, socially acceptable and environmentally sound and support conservation, energy efficiency and recycling.
- Special projects and other responsibilities as required.
- Ensures, by performance and example, that the St. Francis Winery culture is consistently supported in all business and employee interactions, which includes both ethical and legal aspects, complying with federal and state laws and company policies and procedures.
- Hires, develops and trains the Kitchen team to provide exceptional customer service to all guests, achieve sales and budgeted goals and build increased customer loyalty. Trains and develops staff so they represent the highest level of expertise available in the wine industry with an emphasis on sales effectiveness, customer service and SFW familiarity through SFW-specific and general wine education.
- Nurtures an atmosphere of teamwork and enthusiastic employee relations among Visitor Center staff.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism, the ability to appropriately handle sensitive and confidential information and/or situations and the ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Appraises performance; rewarding and taking disciplinary action when appropriate; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Keeps SOPs up to date, assuring that all standards of professionalism and customer service are upheld by all staff members.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area, specialized and/or technical training such as a Certificate of Completion from a culinary institute, a minimum of 7 years of directly-related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Exceptional culinary skills with the ability to develop and test recipes and/or techniques for food preparation/presentation.
- General wine industry knowledge with a discerning palate for tasting and evaluating wine and food.
- Previous management and/or supervisory experience in the wine and/or food industry.
- Excellent verbal, written andinterpersonal communication skills. Able to make presentations to groups, and communicate and connect with guests as needed to elevate their Winery and food program experiences.
- Excellent organizational, planning and scheduling skills; highly accurate, organized and detail oriented, with strong multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Highly imaginative with the ability to visualize and create exciting and innovative wine and food programs and experiences, which include a variety of menus and options.
- Excellent understanding of the importance of exceptional guest experiences.
- Able to provide support in developing promotional materials.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services and inventory control.
- Working knowledge of accepted standards of sanitation and adherence to all safety and sanitation procedures.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and handle multiple and changing priorities in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to work extended schedules, evenings, weekends and holidays, as well as flexibility in scheduling to ensure business staffing and operational needs are met and to work at and/or attend on and off-site weekend and after hour’s events and functions.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please respond with a resume and cover letter to HR@stfranciswinery.com
St. Francis Winery and Vineyards is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a divers and inclusive work environment. (EOE M/V/F/D)