St. Francis Winery & Vineyards is an ultra-premium winery located in the heart of the Sonoma Valley. We are a certified sustainable family-owned winery whose commitment to excellence has resulted in continued recognition for our award winning wines and our outstanding wine & food pairing experiences. We are proud of all of our accomplishments, including being voted one of the Best Places to Work in the North Bay by our employees 9 years in a row.
We are currently recruiting for a Controller who will be responsible for the integrity of the St. Francis Winery LP and Kopf Vineyards LLC (a sister vineyard company) financial statements, accounting practices, the accurate maintenance of fiscal records and the timely preparation of financial reports in accordance with GAAP.
The Controller directs the day-to-day financial operations of the Winery including Payroll, Accounts Payable, Inventory/cost accounting, fixed asset accounting, AR/Sales reporting and sales/use/property/excise tax preparation and filing. The Controller is also responsible for the preparation of financial analyses including financial statements and supporting schedules.
This position reports to the CFO and provides leadership to the accounting team consisting of a general ledger accountant, a cost accountant and a AP/Payroll/Inventory Specialist.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Manages all accounting functions and systems including but not limited to accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, cost accounting and fixed asset accounting. Ensures compliance with expense reporting, capitalization policy, and purchase order procedures.
- Supervises monthly balancing of books and monthly account reviews; prepares and presents monthly financial statements.
- Timely and accurately prepares and presents financial statements and related reports including but not limited to balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports including analysis of variances to budget and prior year.
- Maintains relationship with external accounting firm. Coordinates annual independent review and preparation of annual tax documents.
- Coordinates and directs budget preparation and financial forecasts, reviews budget proposals, and prepares necessary supporting documentation and justification for proposed budgets.
- With their team, supports Sequoia Grove and Resonance winery with the Navision report writing tool “Jet reports”, and by managing their Fixed assets in the BNA system.
- Responsible for costing for Sequoia Grove cased goods inventory reconciliation.
- Ensures compliance with statutory payroll and property tax reporting.
- Responsible for compliance with all federal, state, and local alcohol sales distribution laws including excise, sales/use, and other applicable taxes.
- Manages all banking relationships and transactions including credit lines, cash sweeps, equipment and vehicle leases and currency hedging (as needed for barrel purchases).
- Administers insurance policies, works with brokers for annual renewals of crop insurance, stock insurance, and general liability/property insurance.
- Serves as investment committee member for the company’s 401k.
- Hires, trains, supervises, motivates, and develops accounting staff; manages schedules and workflow.
- Evaluates new ways and tools to improve and streamline processes. Embraces change as a strategic advantage.
- Assists with company strategic planning.
- Assists with special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance plus 10 years related experience
- CPA certification strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP.
- Excellent financial analysis and forecasting skills.
- Cost accounting experience.
- Strong leadership, communication and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate subordinates.
- Ability to work well with all levels of management.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills; able to manage multiple priorities and workflow.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Advanced understanding of Excel.
- Proficient in the rest of the Microsoft Office environment including Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience with Navision and Jet reports a plus.
- Knowledge of cyber security.
- PCI compliance – annual and ongoing.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please respond with a resume and cover letter to HR@stfranciswinery.com
St. Francis Winery and Vineyards is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a divers and inclusive work environment. (EOE M/V/F/D)