• 4 duck breasts
• ¼ cup Niçoise olives, pitted and lightly chopped
• ¼ cup capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
• ¼ teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
• ½ cup sherry
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Trim excess fat from duck breast and score skin by lightly cutting a crisscross pattern without cutting through flesh.
Heat canola oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Place duck breast skin side down in hot pan and cook for 5 minutes or until skin side has nicely browned. Turn breast over and transfer pan to oven, cook through, for about 10 minutes. Cook breast to an internal temperature of 130°F, remove from pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
Pour off excess fat from pan, leaving about a tablespoon remaining. Add shallots and garlic to pan and cook until slightly golden. Add olives, capers, herbs and stir to combine. Turn heat to high, add sherry and reduce by ¾. Add chicken stock and reduce by half or until slightly thickened. Add butter and whisk to combine.
Slice each duck breast and spoon sauce over and serve.